Sunday 30 December 2012

NOTD: Barry M 344 Magnetic Gold Sparkle / Moon Dust

I'm still on the fence about magnetic polishes, even though I always get lots of complimentents when wearing them. I'd only owned 3 of them so far (one Nails Inc and 2 17 ones), and decided I wasn't going to get any more. I don't hate them but they can be quite fiddly. However, then I saw the recent shades Barry M had come out with and decided I had to try them out. I also like it that they come with different pattern magnets, so you can mix and match.


Magnetic Gold Sparkle (or as it's now been renamed Moon Dust) is an antique gold colour polish with gold sparkle. None of my other magnetic polishes had sparkle, so I thought this might look quite interesting. I didn't anticipate just how gorgeous it would look once I've put the magnet over it, in fact both my daughter and I exclaimed when we saw the result, it's truly striking.

You get silvery stripes as well as darker gold ones with sparkle, neither colour actually resembling the colour of the polish in the bottle. It's like two colours had been mixed together and then separated by the magnet. The effect is almost 3D, and it appears to move as I move my hand. I have had many compliments when wearing it, the beauty of these magnetic polishes is that they look like you've had your nails done whereas you can do them quite easily yourself.

I do find them a little fiddly to use, sometimes the design doesn't come out as sharp and sometimes I manage to touch the nail with the magnet. I also found that the stripes got a bit messed up when I applied the top coat, I don't know if maybe waiting a bit would've helped. Wear time wasn't that great, it started chipping on me within the first 24 hours. This isn't unusual, but not every polish chips on me on the first day, so I'm still not too happy about it.

I used two coats on most fingers, but some of them I had to redo several times, so I just kept applying extra layers. It dried fairly quickly and other than the top coat's brush leaving slight marks in the design, the polish was pretty easy to use.

Barry M magnetic polishes come in 5 shimmery shades and 4 non-shimmery ones, and they come with 5 different magnets (one each). They cost £4.99 each and you get 10 ml for your money. Of course there are usually deals on in either Superdrug or Boots, so keep an eye out!

See lots more pictures after the jump!



Taken without flash in bright sunshine

Taken without flash in weak sunshine

Taken without flash in weak sunshine

Taken without flash in weak sunshine

Taken without flash in bright sunshine


5 comments:

  1. Hi. So only one nail polish will create that effect? Am I right because I haven't used these magnetic nail polishes in my my life yet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you use the magnet to create the stripy effect!

      Delete
  2. Ooh they're really nice - it does give a 3D like effect! I always find Barry M nail polishes chip quicker than other brands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try this, it's just seemed too expensive to justify. I love how this looks though, I may have to splurge! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expensive? They only cost £4.99 and there's often a 3 for 2 offer on Barry M! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...